Sunday, May 11, 2008

The Wang Family. Palo Alto


Many years ago I promised myself not to pursue children and family photography. I burned through a lot of film (yes film) trying to photograph my oldest daughter. The results were less than stellar and great images came with a high expense ratio. Maybe I'm a better photographer now, maybe I understand children better, maybe I am more patient, maybe other people's children are more open cooperative than mine, or maybe the per-frame costs have come down - who knows?

This past Saturday * I am very happy to say * I went back on that long-held promise and photographed
the Wang family during an outing at Stanford. I met Michael and San-San when he was a groomsman in Dan and Kalaya's wedding last year. A month ago he emailed me and we set a date. As it turns out both of our children are about the same age so I had a pretty good idea what to expect. They were brilliant to bring bubbles and my insurance policy consisted of some carefully selected stickers. Children and family photographers have an entire repertoire of tricks that I am just starting to pick up on like feathers and rubber chickens.

Those of you with young children know that waking up is rarely a problem - I don't even bother setting an alarm clock anymore. So we started in the morning hitting a few choice spots around campus and finished just before the kids became tired. It was fun!

Thank you Michael and San-San for inviting me to spend the morning with you.












1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great pictures Karl! You really got the essence we were looking for.